Okay, so the Canadiens and their fans didn’t destroy the city a la Vancouver, but they did “Boo” at the end of the game. Not unusual. This is their typical go to. One of the many reasons they are my most hated sports fan base. Yeah. That’s right. I hate them more than Flyers fans.
The game started off nicely, with Canadiens fans cheering for Sidney Crosby as he took the ice. Evgeni Malkin set the tone with a goal 21 seconds into the first period, assisted by Christ Kunitz and Sidney Crosby. Malkin loves to score taking it across the slot this season. Whatever. He makes it look good. The party didn’t last long. Travis Moen tied the game about 1:20 later, slinging a wrist shot past Marc-Andre Fleury.
The Pens went on the power play after Mike Cammalleri took a hooking penalty, but the Habs killed it. Montreal is third in the league in penalty killing. The Pens are above them in second.
Max Pacioretty grabbed his tenth goal of the season to put the Habs up 2-1. I actually like Pacioretty. I think he’s a good player. But he is officially on my shit list as of the third period of this game. More to come…
James Neal went to the box for slashing. He has been racking up some major penalty minutes. After this game, he has 22 total this season. Pens killed the penalty. They weren’t able to tie it up by the end of the period.
The blue liners looked sloppy through the first 20 minutes. Letang and Martin caused some major turn-overs. Letang fanned on a pass that caused some groans from me.
To open the second period, Crosby put a shot on the net which Kunitz seemed to deflect in with his glove. Review went to Toronto. No goal. I think it was the right call. Kuni put it in with his glove.
Kris Letang from here on though is the man of the game. He fired a shot to the net 3 minutes into the second. Carey Price made the save but the shot broke the upper shaft of Price’s stick. It looked like he peeled it like a banana.
Erik Cole put the Habs up another point with a lucky bounce into the net.
About now is where I should start complaining about the complete and total lack of officiating in this game. Apparently, PK Subban has free reign in the NHL to slew foot and kick the daylights out of every player and dive all over the ice like he’s in the damn Olympics. The refs must have swallowed their whistles in this game. The Pens couldn’t draw a penalty if they had a box of crayons.
With three minutes left in the period, the Pens carried the puck into the attack zone. Paul Mart dropped a little pass to Dupuis from the blue line up the middle. Duper took his shot. Puck hit the pipes but went in. Pens down by one.
Poor Kunitz couldn’t buy a goal in this game. He took the puck in off a pass from Zybnek Michalek and took a shot. Apparently his skate tapped Price and sent him careening back into his own net. Puck went over the line with Price. Goal waived. Again. Koon now has 3 or 4 waived goals this season.
Nealer also couldn’t buy a goal in this game, just penalties. Price made an unreal glove save on a shot from Neal. Twenty seconds later, Neal visits the box again for high-sticking Subban. Lars Eller went to the box next for interference. Game at even strength and the Pens got a power play for 49 seconds.
Jordan Staal jumped off the bench and took a pass from Malkin from the near side. Took the puck down ice and roofed it. Tied game.
Back to Kris Letang. Letang went to take a shot from the top of the slot when he was mowed over by Pacioretty, taking an elbow to the face.
Took the refs six seconds to blow the whistle. Six. While Letang was down on the ice bleeding from a broken nose. No penalty. We’ll see tomorrow at Pacioretty’s hearing with Brendan Shanahan what happens. The refs in this game were a complete embarrassment.
Game went to over time. Kris Letang stole the show, coming back onto the ice after having his nose put back into place and scoring the game winning goal. Habs fans boo. Carey Price breaks his stick in anger. Letang and Neal kept chipping away at the puck until it went in. Price cried after the game and said he had his glove on the puck but no whistle.
Refs swallowed their whistles in this game. Take this as a justice goal. Pens win.
- Paul Martin was only -1 in this game. Hopefully he finds a way to bring his game up. Mart is continuing to struggle this season.
- Jordan Staal is a beast. He now has 12 goals this season. He is a huge contributor to this team and completely underrated by our rabid fans.
- Letang continues to play huge minutes. Monster player. Comes back after breaking his nose to win the game. Relentless.
- Neal, Sid and Geno are getting ice time together.
- Geno has 2 points in each of the last 4 games.
- Sid has 8 points in 4 games. Jesus. Welcome back Kid.
- Keep your eyes on Deryk Engelland. Most improved player this season without a doubt. He is +4 and has 3 points in the last 4 games. He actually has played the most games this season of any defenseman, getting ice time in all 24 games this season. He played in 63 games last season.
- Matt Niskanen may not be scoring goals or even getting many assists as of late, but he is blocking shots, setting up plays and putting shots on the net. He is +9 on the season.
- James Neal took his 100th shot on goal last night. He is still first in the league in shots.